This site contains Background and History of the Representative Areas Program.
To view the current Zoning status, please go to the Zoning Plan 2003.
Introduction to Townsville/Whitsunday Management Area
Welcome to the Townsville/Whitsunday Management Area.
Navigating your way around this map
- The new zones in each Management Area are numbered North to South.
- The first letters refer to the Zone Type.
- The following two digits refer to the latitude. The lower the latitude
the further north the zone will be.
- The last digits [which are unique to each site] are numbered in ascending
order north to south within that band of latitude.
- The latitude and longitude can be found in the frames on each of the
Example: To find MNP-10-28 go to 10° latitude on the map and look
for this number. If you find MNP-10-29 then you know that the number
you are looking for will be to the north of that.
- To enlarge the draft map, click on the map, or download a high resolution
PDF file from the bottom of this page. NOTE:
This is a very large file that may take some time to download.
- The numbers on the new zones [e.g. CP-17-192] correspond to the numbers
in the left-hand navigation bar in this section, and run from north to
- Alternatively, click on Communities above
to find the area in which you are interested.
- To find out what the Zones mean, click on Zone Colour Guide
in the tool bar above.
- To find out what the acronyms mean, use the A-Z Glossary in
Site Tools above.
For information on specific uses such as recreational fishing, please
click on Information Sheets.
To view the current zoning map for the Central Section, click here.
To download this map, either enlarge the map by clicking on it,
select Save picture as, and save in GIF format, OR download
in PDF format at the bottom of this page.
You may need Acrobat Reader for some of the following
Get Acrobat Reader
Management Area MPZ31 - MAp of Draft Zoning 02-06-2003
File size: 3604k
RAP background information
Background information on the Representative Areas Program.